Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflections and Resolutions

2013 is over. I can't say I'm sad to see it go. This was probably the most difficult year of my life. It did go by extremely fast, but that didn't make it any easier. I feel like I earned adult status this year. I'm not sure how I feel about that either... 

There were definitely some high points. I traveled outside of the U.S. for the first time. It was amazing. I got a nephew this year! And, I'm going to get a new sister in 2014! I watched my brother find his dream job, and now I'm watching him excel at it. Construction started on our new store. I went on my first business trip with Channing. I was given a place to use my voice again. I made a new friend; the kind of friend that you feel like you've known your whole life. 

The most important high point though, is my relationship with God. I can say with absolute certainty that there would have been no change had the hard stuff not happened. So, while I'm not sad to say goodbye to 2013, I wouldn't change anything.  I learned more about grace this year than I ever thought possible. I learned what it means to be completely helpless and have nothing left to rely on but God's strength. I learned how to really pray. (I have a whole other post on that.) I learned that it is ok to ask for help. It is ok to be vulnerable. I've learned how to be thankful for even the smallest moments. 

That brings me to my resolutions. I'm don't usually make them, but I did last year. I am ashamed to say, I did not meet a single one of them. So for this year, I've made the same resolutions again. I've decided to share them so that maybe my friends will hold my accountable. 

I want to read through the Bible this year. I started last year, and made to April, the week we all got the flu. I never caught up again. I've signed up for a reading plan to help. I really like the layout of the one I've chosen.  I'm hoping this will help me be more intentional with my quiet time too. 

I want to run a 5k this year. I started training last year, and then got hurt four days before my first race. I can't even begin to tell you how upset I was. I never got back to training because all the health issues started right after that. I just want to be healthier this year. I discovered last year that I actually like the running, so I'll start with that. 

2014 has the potential to be an amazing year for us. There is a lot happening that we are really looking forward to: the store opening, moving, C.J.'s wedding. It is going to be busy. I pray that I take all the lessons I've learned this year, and use them to make this the best year we've had.  My Bible app sent a challenge to pick out a verse for the year. One I could go back to continually and make it my theme. I've decide to use two verses from Psalm 27 that a good friend sent to me back in the fall. It gave me great comfort and hope then, and I want to keep it close for this year too.

Psalm 27:13-14 "I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living! Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!"


No comments: