Sunday, January 11, 2009

While I Have a Few Minutes....

I thought I'd fill you in on the new book obsession. It looks like I have a full day devoted to laundry and football.... Yay for me!  

At the end of the last post, I told you that I had started a new book series. Well, if you are one of the very few like me who hasn't already read it, I'm gonna tell you why I started. I've now read the first two books of the Twilight series, by Stephanie Meyers. I assumed it was just another fad like the Harry Potter books, but for a little bit older crowd. It got to the point that every time I got on the computer, more and more adults were reading these things too. Then I was at home, and I found out my aunt and my cousin were reading them together. When E told me she liked them, that did it for me. She and I have similar tastes in books and authors. I knew that I couldn't hold out any longer. My biggest problem is knowing that if I like one book, I will become obsessed until I finish them all. Knowing that there were already four of them, I was really hesitant to begin. I'm also not very fond of things that Hollywood gets involved in. I can not name one movie based on a book that was as good as the book. I can come up with a couple that were close, but no movie can capture all the emotions and detail that an author can convey. I have come to that same conclusion about Twilight, but we'll get to that in a moment.

First, I got the first book, Twilight, still skeptical on how I would respond. Now, I do love vampire stories. I was interested to see how someone could write a good vampire book for a younger crowd. I must say I was impressed. Meyers took a legend as old as time and adapted it beautifully for a new age group in a very new time. This book is a wonderful, first-love, story without the inappropriate issues. Very clean, and as innocent as possible when a vampire is involved.  I finished in less that 24 hours. Sometimes I hate how fast I read. I immediately had to have the rest. However, when I got to Barnes and Noble the next day, they only had the second one, New Moon, in paper back. I got it, but I knew it would take me about the same amount of time to finish that one, and I'm not really a very patient person. It did actually take me two days because of the packing and traveling. I'm not going to say much about this one, except that it is, to me, better than the first, and dives more into the complex emotions of the main character. It's more suspenseful than the first, with a much more interesting plot line, and leaves you hanging at the end. I can not wait to find the next two. 

As for the movie, I think I will see it, but I'll wait until DVD release. I just cannot imagine any way that a movie could capture the emotional turmoil that constantly exists in the thoughts of the main character. But, so many people are raving about the movie as much as the book, so I'll reserve judgement until I actually see it. 

If you've read these, seen the movie, or plan to do both, let me know what you think. I love comparing the different perceptions. 

No comments: